Thursday, May 12, 2011

A child who witnesses an abusive marriage

Anytime you have a child that witnesses abuse you hope that leaving the situation is going to heal them. For my 11 year old daughter she still has major emotional issues even though it has been 6 years since we left. It has been a rollercoaster of emotions, and just when your trying to heal yourself then your child starts having meltdowns. It is truly heartbreaking. My daughter is finally going to start counseling this month and even though I have tried to avoid ever putting her on medication, the doctor thinks it may be time. She is to young to diagnose as being bi-polar but I find myself wondering more and more if she is. I believe her father (my abuser) was bi-polar. I have tried to do everything for my children...loving them, supporting them, not forcing them to participate in activities that they have no interest in. My poor lil girl though is just a mess, and she cries to me all the time begging not to feel this way anymore. What is a mother to do? I naturally fear that if I do nothing and blame it on hormones and a phase that she may eventually harm herself or get in with the wrong crowd. Decisions can be so difficult sometimes. On a lighter note though my daughter did come to me and tell me she wants to do competitive cheerleading, and since that is the one thing that seems to bring her joy, I am going out of my way to make it happen even though $3100 isn't exactly laying around for it. I want to see the light in her that children should have, that my other daughter has. Please pray for my daughter and that she somehow finds her little piece of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment